Monday 25 February 2013

Of Beast And Beauty by Stacey Jay


Release Date: July 23, 2013 | Hardcover

In the domed city of Yuan, the blind Princess Isra is raised merely to sacrifice herself someday to ensure her people''s vitality. In the desert outside, Gem, a mutant boy, fights to keep his people from starvation. Neither dreams that together they could return balance to their world. Isra, a Smooth Skin, bound by magical covenant to the city of Yuan, wants to help the Banished people of her city, second-class citizens despised for possessing Monstrous traits the blind princess believes she also possesses. One night, Gem is captured while trying to steal the city''s enchanted roses, and he becomes Isra''s beastly prisoner from the desert. But when Isra enlists the aid of Gem to help her grow herbs that will prevent mutation, she discovers just how human he is, and she begins to question everything she''s been raised to believe. As dark secrets from the past are revealed and Isra''s sight returned, she will have to choose between duty to her people and the beast she has come to love.


I am pretty excited about this soon to come summer release. It sounds like it has some really intriguing plot potential, and I haven't read many retellings of Beauty and the Beast.

Much thanks to mindfulmundanes.blogspot.ca for bringing this to my attention!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 29, 2015

I had totally forgotten wanting to read this book. I am very pleased that I finally did!! It was great!!


"But he that dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose. " - Anne Bronte

I have loved that quote for many moons. It was this quote that initially inspired me to buy this book. 30 pages in I was regretting the purchase, not to mention I'm not a huge fan of first person. I pressed on though I was not expecting to like this story, much less love it. But it very quickly grew on me, and then reminded me of a belief I've long forgotten... a belief in the power of love.

Its altruistic in an endearingly primitive way. I gave it 5 stars not b/c it was written perfectly, it wasn't necessarily, -at times its down right cheesy- but b/c it has been a long time since a book has made me hope for a fairy tale-like love. And I couldn't put it down until I knew the fate our two heroes.

The loyalty of Isra's maid, Needle, moved me. She is an incredible character throughout the story; completely selfless and the most beautiful, in my opinion. It is so human to believe we are ugly. To not see our own beauty. To quickly believe the worse of ourselves and our enemies. The story battles this like a hero. There are many parallels to the situation of our world... such change, and healing needs to happen for us too.



No comments:

Post a Comment