Sunday 3 February 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I didn't have a clue what this book would be about, and the fact it was in teens made me nervous. My twitter friends recommended it to me several times. Even then, it was only after a desperate soul called me at Chapters (I work at Chapters) praying that we would have a copy that I finally decided to put one aside for me as well.

When I read the first two paragraphs I nearly died thinking 'OH NO! This book is about depression and cancer!?' I don't think I would have picked it up, had I known, and thank god I didn't, because it was fantabulous!!!! Let me say it again: FANTABULOUS!!! A FIVE STAR BOOK! Do you even know how long its been since I've read a five star book!? Jane Austen.

Hazel Grace is an enlightened 16 year old girl, and the narrator of her seemingly inglorious story of her battle with pain and social apathy. "Sickness really does eat up one's passion for life." "That's the thing about pain, it demands to be felt." However, 17 year old Augustus is quickly introduced to the plot and suddenly Hazel has an equal to challenge her mind. It was not long before I had to pry the book out of my hands, find a note book, and start writing out quotes that I'm sure I will be using for years to come. That and a dictionary, from time to time, because words like "hamartia" are regretfully not in my vocab. - Even google's blogger is trying to auto correct the word, right now, which makes me feel a bit better.

The plot moved at a perfect speed, no sooner did I ask a character/plot question, in my head, then it was answered. I felt like I was digesting such a feast, and yet with each page I was still ravenous. The seamless way Green wove Shakespeare and Maslow's Hierarchy all into one story reminded me of Malcolm Gladwell's genius. Both have a way of effortlessly explaining complexities and making it palatable.

But here I am rambling on about the writing style and not the plot. In part, because I don't wish to deprive you from peeling each layer of this onion yourself. And the other part, being, because the style was so fantastic that I feel a healthy portion of this review should just praise it.

One can't help adore the love that blossoms between Hazel and Augustus. Pity and laugh with their blind friend Isaac. And muse at the complexities of Hazel's parents position.

Suffice it to say, "I fell in love <with this book> the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

P.S. Big Thank You to all my Twitter peeps who recommended this book to me! @charlie_n_books
For more info on the book and the writer please visit: http://johngreenbooks.com/the-fault-in-our-stars/
If you wish to buy it you can find it here: Great Deals!!

3 comments:

  1. Another amazing book by John Green. I never really had a favorite author before but after reading Looking For Alaska, tbh he'll always be on top of the list. and when this book came out on 10th Jan this year (Flipkart, i wish we could pre-order it)i H A D T O read it. even though i really liked the book, but i think Looking For Alaska was 10% better, but nonetheless, it's a good book you can't miss it! and DFTBA, Nerdfighters! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously!! Just hearing his name makes me smile. His books are so awesome!!!
      I like your percentage difference there, cute. :) I'm just finishing An abundance of Katherines... very good so far.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! It's really great to know that people are reading and actually enjoying our reviews. I love this book so much.

    ReplyDelete